Hey Congress, do we have a car deal for you!
General Motors (GM) asked its U.S. dealers on Wednesday to call their representatives and senators to beg them to approve an additional loan package to help the struggling automaker, according to Reuters.
GM U.S. sales chief Mark LaNeve told dealers to smile and dial, saying 3 million jobs will be wiped out if the government doesn't deliver the necessary funding. Shares of the country's largest automaker sank as low as $2.75 this week."As we're in the midst of the deepest crisis our industry has ever faced, GM's priority is on seeking support from various U.S. government agencies and congressional leaders," LaNeve wrote in a letter to dealers. That's funny. We thought GM's top priority should be selling cars people want to buy. Chief executives of GM, Ford (F) and Chrysler skipped the phone calls in favor of face-to-face meetings with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Majority leader Harry Reid last week to discuss a $50 billion aid package. The executives requested half that sum be delivered immediately as "emergency capital," with the second $25 billion going to a retiree health care trust fund. Rep. Barney Frank (D., Mass.) said on Wednesday his committee will host a hearing to consider an auto-industry bailout next week. That is, if he can avoid thousands of phone pitches from all those dealers trying to sell him last year's model. Dumb-o-meter score: 70 -- Looks like U.S. taxpayers are going to buy a lemon of a bailout deal.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV