American Apparel's (APP) ringmaster has another legal circus on his hands.
A former employee filed a wrongful termination suit against the retailer last week, alleging he was fired for refusing requests by renegade CEO Dov Charney to pump up figures on the company's balance sheet.
Roberto Hernandez, who handled accounts payable for the company, charges that in 2006 Charney "demanded that Mr. Hernandez pad the inventory" in an effort to spruce up the company for sale to outside investors.American Apparel, a private company at the time of the allegation, went public later that year. (The stock fell 35% to $4.50 Wednesday on news of the suit). The normally gregarious Charney refused to comment on the matter, opting instead to deny the allegation in a press release, saying the company would "vigorously defend itself and its shareholders in this contemptible action." Charney claims Hernandez was more involved with low-level data entry than accounting and therefore had no opportunity to cook the books.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV