Have Snorkel, Will Travel
Winter is coming, so break out the scuba gear and head south.
Almost one in 10 North Americans planning a vacation want to include diving and snorkeling, according to a TripAdvisor.com survey released earlier this year. But the decision to swap a board meeting for a reef dive is the easy part of the vacation. The hard part is deciding where to go.
Hurricanes, coral disease and too much tourism have turned many Caribbean reefs into algae-covered aquarium rubble. As an island becomes known for diving, it attracts more tourists and development, which can hurt coral reefs. Toss in warmer water, which plays havoc on reef ecosystems, and a few big hurricanes, and you end up with a coral reef that doesn't live up to promises in guide books.
But you can still find gorgeous places to dive. Here are a few spots to consider: Dominica Located in the middle of the arc of the Lesser Antilles, Dominica is consistently ranked as one of the top dive destinations in the Caribbean, if not the world. The island provides an incredible variety of diving terrain that can challenge both beginners and experts. Sites feature wall diving, pinnacles and open reefs, all in excellent condition. The downside: There aren't any luxury accommodations on the island, so you'll have to settle for standard, but comfortable, digs during your stay. And Dominica is not the easiest of Caribbean islands to get to. Only flights from San Juan, Jamaica and a few smaller islands connect to Dominica.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV