Intel Slashes Revenue Forecast
SAN FRANCISCO -- Intel (INTC) sharply reduced its fourth-quarter sales expectations Wednesday, citing "significantly" weaker-than-expected demand in all regions and across all product types.
The world's No. 1 maker of PC microprocessors said revenue in final three months of the year is now expected to be $9 billion, plus or minus $300 million, instead of its previously forecasted range of $10.1 billion to $10.9 billion.
Intel also said its gross profit margin in the quarter will be 55%, plus or minus a couple of points, instead of the 59% level previously expected.
The news comes a week after CEO Paul Otellini described the current economic slowdown as the worst he'd seen in his lifetime.Intel was slated to give Wall Street a midquarter update on Dec. 4, but the company said that Wednesday's warning replaces that event. Shares of Intel were halted; they're scheduled to resume trading at 5:20 p.m. EST. The stock closed the regular session off 2.9% to $13.54.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV