Tech Winners & Losers: Google
For the quarter ended in October, the developer of software tools for the design of semiconductors said it will lose 5 cents a share, excluding charges, on revenue of $185 million. Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters were expecting earnings of 15 cents a share, excluding charges, on revenue of $215.1 million.
The company also lowered its guidance for the fourth quarter. It now expects revenue of $270 million and earnings, excluding charges, of 55 cents. Analysts were looking for revenue of $318.6 million and an adjusted profit of 93 cents a share.
Shares of Virgin Mobile (VM) were up 9.4% to $1.05 after handily topping Wall Street expectations for its third-quarter profit.The company earned $4.07 million, or 7 cents a share, in the quarter ended Sept. 30, compared with a loss of $7.38 million, or 29 cents a share, a year ago. Excluding one-time items, Virgin Mobile earned 8 cents a share, well above analysts' expectations of 4 cents a share, according to Thomson Reuters.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV