Optimer Pharmaceuticals (OPTR) proves that even in a bear market, small biotech stocks are still capable of doubling in price overnight.
Shares of Optimer, a pick in my Biotech Select model portfolio, soared 90% Monday night after the San Diego-based company reported positive top-line results from a pivotal phase III study of its experimental antibiotic OPT-80 in patients infected with the hospital-borne infection Clostridium difficile.
OPT-80 achieved cure rates that are statistically equivalent to Vancocin, the only Food and Drug Administration-approved treatment for Clostridium difficile, or C. diff for short. Better yet, OPT-80 significantly reduced the recurrence of C. diff compared to Vancocin, which is marketed by Viropharma (VPHM).
C. diff is a scary bacterial superbug that causes severe abdominal pain, bloating and diarrhea. In severe cases, the C. diff bug can rupture colons, cause blood infections and lead to death.Like the better publicized staph infection known as MRSA, the rate of new and recurrent C. diff infections are on the rise across the U.S. and the rest of the world. Hospitals are struggling to keep new infections under control. Two antibiotics used to treat C. diff -- Vancocin and metronidazole (used off label) -- do a relatively good job of curing patients, but the relapse rate -- once treatment ends -- is high.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV