Other notable declines were posted at the Showboat Casino Hotel (down 20.8%), owned by Harrah's; Bally's Atlantic City (down 18.5%), a Harrah's property; Trump Plaza Hotel and Casino (down 17.3%), and the Tropicana Casino and Resort, whose parent company on Monday filed a plan to emerge from Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. The Tropicana was down 16.2% for the month.
The Trump Taj Mahal Casino Resort was up 20.5%, helped by the opening of a second hotel tower, and luckier than usual play in its casino.
Harrah's Resort Atlantic City was the only other casino to post a revenue increase, up 63%. It, too, was helped by the opening of a second hotel tower earlier this year.Another factor hurting October's revenue was a smoking ban that took effect Oct. 15. Although it was be put on hold for at least a year on Nov. 16, the ban has already done its damage at some casinos. Tolosa said slot revenue at Harrah's four Atlantic City casinos was down by 12 percent for the first 15 days of October. But once the ban took effect, slots numbers fell 20 percent in the final two weeks of the month. A similar effect was seen at the three casinos run by Trump Entertainment Resorts, company CEO Mark Juliano said. He said the opening of the Chairman Tower at the Taj Mahal in late September started paying off big in October.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV