Clearwire's Loss Disappoints
Clearwire's (CLWR) third-quarter loss narrowed from a year ago, but the company's results still fell short of the Street's expectations, sending shares lower Monday.
The Kirkland, Wash., wireless broadband service provider lost $166.6 million, or $1.01 a share, in the third quarter, compared with a loss of $328.6 million, or $2.01 a share, in the year-ago period.
Revenue jumped 47% from a year ago to $60.8 million.
On average, analysts had expected a loss of $1 a share on revenue of $55.5 million, according to the Thomson Reuters.Shares of Clearwire were lately down 25 cents, or 3.1%, to $7.79. Gross margin shrank to 27% from 29% a year earlier, which the company said was due to the significantly increased number of network cell sites that Clearwire is leasing in advance of its planned mobile WiMax market rollout. Among key third-quarter metrics, Clearwire said consolidated net subscriber additions were approximately 8,000, bringing the total number of subscribers to 469,000. However, that number compares to 49,000 net additions in the year-ago quarter. Clearwire said the average revenue per subscriber increased to $40.43 from $37.41 a year ago, although the churn rate, which measures the frequency subscribers left the service, rose to 3% from 2.3% in the year-ago quarter. Last week, the Federal Communications Commission approved the transfer of licenses between Sprint Nextel (S) and Clearwire, which struck a $14.5 million wireless agreement in May that will see both combine their wireless broadband businesses in a new company called Clearwire.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV