Tech Winners & Losers: Yahoo!
Priceline (PCLN) shares climbed 15.7% to $54.46 after the online travel site beat Wall Street expectations for third-quarter results.
The company posted third-quarter earnings of $88 million, or $1.81 per share, down 16% a year earlier, helped by a tax benefit. Excluding one-time costs, the company would have earned $2.39 a share, well above the $2.10 a share expected by analysts.
Shares of Hutchinson Technology (HTCH) slipped 20.4% to $4.84 after posting an earnings miss in the fourth quarter.
The company reported a fourth-quarter loss of $105.5 million, or $4.60 a share, including a valuation allowance of $4.03 a share against its deferred tax assets, and a charge of 37 cents a share for the impairment of long-term investments. Excluding those charges, the company would have lost 20 cents a share -- far more than the 13-cent loss that Wall Street had expected.Revenue for the fourth quarter came in at $164.3 million, missing Street estimates of $167.3 million.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV