Tech Winners & Losers: Yahoo!
Tech stocks were back on the rise, recovering from a two-day slump despite bleak unemployment numbers released on Friday.
The Nasdaq gained 28 points, or 1.8%, to 1637 in recent trading.
Yahoo! CEO Jerry Yang earlier this week said he was interested in reopening talks with Ballmer after Google (GOOG) pulled out of an online search agreement with Yahoo!. Investors clung to the hope that Ballmer would return to the negotiating table, but his comments yesterday only reinforced their earlier pessimism.Yahoo! shares were down 13.9% to $12.02 on Friday. Microsoft shares were up 1.8% to $21.27. Sprint Nextel's (S) shares plummeted 12.8% to $3.21 after the company fell short of Wall Street's third-quarter estimates . The company posted a loss of $326 million, or 11 cents a share, compared with a profit of $64 million, or 2 cents a share, a year ago. Excluding items, Sprint's EPS break-even, but missed analysts' estimates for a profit of 3 cents. Revenue for Sprint's struggling wireless division sank 13% from the same period a year ago and its total count of wireless customers shrank to 50.5 million from 54 million a year ago. Nvidia (NVDA) shares were soaring 15.1% to $8.77, a day after the company reported a 74% drop in third-quarter profit but remained positive about its outlook for next year. The chipmaker said it has moved to a more cost-efficient process for chip production and expects to deliver growth in 2009.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV