In commodities, crude oil was gaining $1.43 to $62.20 a barrel. Gold was adding $9.90 to $742.10 an ounce.
Longer-dated U.S. Treasury securities were mixed. The 10-year note was flat in price, yielding 3.69%, and the 30-year was adding 2/32 to yield 4.10%. The dollar was softening vs. its major foreign competitors.
European stock indices, such as the FTSE in London and the DAX in Frankfurt, were working their way higher. In Asia, Japan's Nikkei closed on the downside, while Hong Kong's Hang Seng finished with gains.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV