We all know the retail adage about the customer always being right. But meeting customer expectations requires a certain amount of guesswork: You can only cater to their demands if you can predict beforehand what those needs might be.
Do you understand your clients well enough to keep them from the competition?
No matter what you're selling, it's not the greatest time to be a retailer. Electronics have weathered the downtown reasonably well, thanks to steady demand for video-game systems such as Nintendo's (NTDOY) Wii and families investing in high-definition TVs in preparation for the upcoming digital conversion.Still, analysts are carefully watching electronics chains Best Buy and Circuit City as bellwethers for consumer spending, especially leading up to the crucial holiday shopping season. For now, Best Buy appears to be winning this particular race. Circuit City this week announced it would be closing 155 stores in the U.S. and cutting its workforce by almost 20%. With the company talking openly about restructuring, it may even consider filing for bankruptcy in the coming months. While Best Buy has pulled back its growth strategy in response to the current economy, it's faring well compared to its main rival. So how did Best Buy set itself apart? And how can your small business do the same?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV