Eliot Spitzer, the former governor of New York, won't be charged with a federal crime for being a client of a prostitution ring, the U.S. Attorney's office in Manhattan said Thursday.
Revelations in March that Spitzer had paid for a prostitute to travel to Washington, D.C., the previous month led to his resignation from office.
In a statement, the U.S. Attorney said Spitzer "has acknowledged to this Office that he was a client of, and made payments to, the Emperors Club VIP. Our investigation has shown that on multiple occasions, Mr. Spitzer arranged for women to travel from one state to another state to engage in prostitution. After a thorough investigation, this Office has uncovered no evidence of misuse of public or campaign funds."
The statement also said "the public interest would not be further advanced by filing criminal charges in this matter."Spitzer's pursuit of investment banks and other financial firms earned him the nickname "the Sheriff of Wall Street" and made him highly unpopular among executives while he was the state's attorney general. His targets included Richard Grasso, the former CEO of the predecessor to NYSE Euronext (NYX), former American International Group (AIG) chief Maurice Greenberg and Sandy Weill, the ex-leader of Citigroup (C).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV