Warehouse retailer Costco (COST ) said comparable-store sales in October fell 1%, while total sales for the month increased 2% to $5.3 billion from $5.2 billion a year earlier.
Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters expected comparable-store sales to increase 3.6%.
U.S. comparable-store sales rose 2% and international comparable-store sales declined 10%, Costco said in a press release Thursday.
Excluding the negative effect of foreign exchange, international comparable-store sales in October rose 9% in local currency, while total company comparable-store sales would have increased by 3%, Costco said. Changes in gasoline prices didn't have a material impact on sales, the company said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV