Activision Blizzard Beats Expectations
Activision Blizzard (ATVI) surged in late trading Wednesday after exceeding expectations with its third-quarter results, even as the company's outlook came in weaker than expected.
The Santa Monica, Calif., video game publisher, best known for its World of Warcraft and Guitar Hero series, posted a loss of $108 million, or 8 cents a share, swinging from a profit of $48 million, or 8 cents a share, in the year-ago quarter. Excluding items related to the July merger with Vivendi's Blizzard unit, as well stock-options expenses, Activision said it earned a profit of 7 cents a share in the quarter.
Revenue in the quarter more than doubled from a year ago to $711 million. On average, analysts were expecting a profit of 4 cents a share on sales of $632 million, according to Thomson Reuters.
After falling 7.4% during Wednesday's session, shares of Activision jumped 10.6% in late trading to $12.14. Among its rivals, Electronic Arts (ERTS) fell 4.4% in regular trading Wednesday and Take-Two (TTWO) lost 2.9%."We are excited about our holiday releases, which are all based on proven franchises, and will deliver our entire slate on schedule with strong product quality on our key titles," said CEO Robert Kotick in a statement. "However, we remain cautious given the likely slowdown in consumer spending this holiday season." Looking ahead to the holiday quarter, the company expects earnings of 29 cents a share on revenue of $2.2 billion. Wall Street was projecting a profit of 33 cents a share on sales of $2.28 billion.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV