Three Stock Funds Near 10-Year Positive Runs
Pencil January of 2019 in your investing calendar. You may have to wait till then to see a list of equity mutual funds that have achieved positive returns for 10 consecutive years.
Then again, if the First Eagle Overseas Fund (SGOVX) can somehow advance 29.72% between now and the close of trading on Dec. 31, you won't have to wait that long. Or, if the JPMorgan Mid Cap Value Fund (JAMCX) can find a way to add 43.13% to its current value by the rapidly approaching end of the year, it will then be able to claim 10 consecutive years of positive returns. And in the unlikely event that the Matthews Asian Growth & Income Fund (MACSX) can vault 50.72% between now and the evening of Dec. 31, it too will be able to become a member of the 10-consecutive-year-gainer club.
The three funds, profiled in an accompanying table, are the only open-end equity funds to have stayed in the plus column for each of the past nine calendar years. Considering that the period includes the 2000-02 bear market, their records are notable. But somehow, 10 consecutive years of plus performances sounds a lot more authoritative than nine.
However, now that we are solidly into November, time seems to be running out on any member of the trio becoming a "10."The First Eagle Overseas Fund holds 10% of its assets in gold-related investments. Its allocation by region is light on Latin America, at 2%, and relatively heavy on Japan, at 30%. The fund's European exposure is 32%, while Asia ex Japan amounts to 16%. Its recent cash holdings amounted to 8% of assets, with another 12% scattered in other miscellaneous investments.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV