A group of seemingly disparate headlines will hit the tape Friday morning, when GM (GM) and Ford (F) are expected to weigh in with dismal earnings reports, and the Bureau of Labor Statistics releases what will likely be a sharp jump in new monthly jobless figures.
For president-elect Barack Obama, those headlines are likely to color some of the first actions he takes when he moves into the White House.
It's hard to overstate the importance of Detroit when looking at any efforts to keep the economy from falling into an especially steep recession. Hundreds of thousands of workers are employed by the automakers, their parts suppliers, auto dealers and all the secondary businesses that serve the employees of these firms.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV