Poor credit and a portfolio of bad loans aren't stopping General Motors' (GM) finance arm from gaining access to the ample supply of federal dollars for U.S. corporations amid the credit crunch.
General Motors Acceptance Corp. has a B rating plus a negative outlook from Fitch Ratings and negative outlooks from both Moody's Investor Service and Standard & Poor's because of sliding car sales and growing turmoil in the U.S. auto industry. Yet, GMAC has applied for and been granted help from the Federal Reserve's Commercial Paper Funding Facility, which is only supposed to make loans to companies with high credit ratings willing to post good collateral.
How? Through spinning off some of its better assets into arm's length subsidiaries that, in turn, are rated highly by the same ratings agencies that hold so low an opinion of the parent company.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV