The New Look of the U.S. Congress
Obama has vowed throughout the campaign to work in a bipartisan fashion. He has also said he would name Republicans to his Cabinet. Time will tell.
House Republican Minority Leader Rep. John Boehner (R., Ohio) remained defiant after winning his re-election bid. According to reports in The Wall Street Journal, he plans to fight Obama's agenda in the House, calling it a "troubling policy roadmap." His strong words might be good news for those in the market who have expressed concern over an unbridled liberal agenda.
But Boehner has to confront the fact that Republicans need to rebuild their party. He has vowed to do this, saying:
"We will rebuild our party the way it was originally built by President Lincoln and renewed nearly three decades ago by President Reagan: by fighting for the principles of freedom, opportunity, security and individual liberty."Senate Democratic Majority Leader Harry Reid downplayed talks of any mandate. ""This is a mandate to get along, to get something done in a bipartisan way. This is not a mandate for a political party or an ideology," he said in comments to Politico.com.
For now, Democrats have the upper hand and the momentum. What they don't have is the super majority to push through all of their legislative proposals.For more articles like this, check out our Political Pulse section.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV