Barack Obama Elected 44th U.S. President
Updated from 7:25 a.m. EST
To view election results for each state, click here: Votes.
Democrat Barack Obama was elected to a four-year term as the next president of the United States Tuesday night, easily defeating his rival, Arizona Republican John McCain.
According to CNN, Obama, an Illinois senator, has thus far won 338 electoral votes, while McCain has 163. Obama needed a minimum of 270 electoral votes to claim victory. Three states, Indiana, Missouri and North Carolina, haven't yet been called.
In the Senate, CNN projects the Democrats won 17 seats in the election for a total of 56 seats, while the Republicans won 14 seats for a total of 40. Four contests remain to be decided.After his win, Obama told supporters that "change has come to America," as he addressed the country for the first time as the president-elect. "If there is anyone out there who still doubts that America is a place where all things are possible, who still wonders if the dream of our founders is alive in our time, who still questions the power of our democracy, tonight is your answer," Obama said in his victory speech in Chicago. Photo Gallery: Race for the White House Police estimated more than 200,000 people gathered in Grant Park to hear Obama claim victory, CNN reports. "The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep. We may not get there in one year or even one term, but America, I have never been more hopeful than I am tonight that we will get there. I promise you, we as a people will get there," Obama said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV