Tech Winners & Losers: Intel
Tech stocks shot higher Tuesday, along with the broader market, as voters poised to send a new president into office amid an economic downturn.
The Nasdaq tacked on 48 points, or 2.8%, to 1775 in recent trading.
The company also said late Monday that it had already sold another portion of the stake to Cisco (CSCO) and EMC (EMC) last week. Intel bought the shares for $218.5 million, or $23 a share, in July 2007.Shares of VMware slid 4.1% to $30.52 in recent trading. Meanwhile, Cisco shares rose 6.2% to $18.28 while EMC shares jumped 1.7% to $11.73. Shares of Nokia (NOK) grew 5.7% to $16.70 after the cell phone maker announced that it would cut its workforce by 450 employees as part of a reorganization of its sales and marketing operations. Nokia also said it will close its Turku site in Finland by the end of January 2009 and relocate the operations. The company plans some "smaller" workforce adjustments in its global operations. Shares of Marvell Technology (MRVL) were up nearly 12% to $7.50 after the company chopped its revenue forecast for the third quarter but also made moves toward greater cost containment. The chipmaker now expects revenue of between $783.9 million and $792.4 million. Analysts had expected revenue of $867.8 million. Seagate (STX) shares were climbing almost 10% to $7.77 on news that it would be added to the Nasdaq 100 Index at the open of the market on Nov. 10. Seagate will replace Monster (MNST), which fell 3.5% to $13.56 on Tuesday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV