FDA Hurdle Hits Amylin, Alkermes (Update)
Updated from 10:42 a.m. EST
Shares of Amylin Pharmaceuticals (AMLN) plummeted Tuesday after its partner Alkermes (ALKS) disclosed in a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission the likelihood of regulatory delays for Byetta LAR.
Shares of Amylin were giving up 20% to $8.49 in recent trading Tuesday, while Alkermes was shedding 9.8% to $9.11.
Alkermes said it recently received feedback from the Food and Drug Administration that data submitted as part of its new-drug application (NDA) for a long-acting version of diabetes drug Byetta do not meet FDA requirements.The data are from "correlation studies" that Amylin submitted to show that the drug manufactured by Alkermes in its facility and used in clinical trials was the same as that manufactured on a commercial scale in Amylin's facilty. According to the filing, Amylin is in active discussions with the U.S. regulatory agency regarding the options to allow the application to be filed by the end of the first half of 2009.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV