Tech Winners & Losers: Sprint Nextel
Tech stocks were on the rise on Monday, with much of the country's attention focused on the presidential election.
The Nasdaq gained 9 points, or 0.5%, to 1730 in recent trading.
Sprint Nextel (S) shares rocketed 27.2% to $3.98 one day before the Federal Communications Commission is expected to approve the company's plan to spin off its WiMax wireless unit into a joint venture with Clearwire.
The FCC is also expected to approve Verizon's (VZ) acquisition of Alltel. Verizon's shares were up 2.8% to $30.49.Microsoft (MSFT) shares jumped 2.4% to $22.87 on Monday after the software giant entered a preliminary agreement with South Korea's LG Electronics on a strategic collaboration in mobile technology, according to Reuters. "The agreement ensures continued strategic collaboration in R&D, marketing, applications, and services in the field of converged mobile devices," LG told Reuters in a statement. Shares of Actuate (ACTU) shot up 12% to $3.18 on news that it will buy back up to $60 million of its shares in a Dutch auction tender offer, at a price in the range of $3.15 and $3.40 a share. Cisco (CSCO) shares tumbled 3% to $17.24 after Credit Suisse slashed its earnings estimate for the 2009 fiscal year ahead of the company's quarterly results to be released after the close on Wednesday. Credit Suisse now expects fiscal year earnings of $1.35 a share, down from $1.67 a share. The firm also cuts its projection for 2010, to $1.47 from $1.90 and lowered its price target to $19 from $25.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV