'Inverse' Funds Surged in October
With the S&P 500 losing 16.8%, the Nasdaq 100 down 16.3% and the Dow Jones Industrial Average off 13.9% in October, all 10 of the best-performing exchange-traded funds in October were inverse funds.
The top ETFs with their one-month total returns for last month were:
PowerShares DB Crude Oil Double Short ETN (DTO) at 66.6%, PowerShares DB Base Metals Double Short ETN (BOM) with 53.5%, PowerShares DB Commodity Double Short ETN (DEE) at 51.4%, ProShares UltraShort Real Estate (SRS) with 50%, ProShares UltraShort Russell2000 Growth (SKK) at 41.2%, ProShares UltraShort Russell MidCap Growth (SDK) with 38.2%, Rydex Inverse 2x S&P MidCap 400 ETF (RMS) at 37.4%, ProShares UltraShort Industrials (SIJ) with 36.7%, ProShares UltraShort MidCap400 (MZZ) at 36.5%, and Rydex Inverse 2x Russell 2000 ETF (RRZ) with 36.4%.
Five of the funds have been trading for at least a year, the minimum duration necessary to qualify for a rating by our risk-adjusted return ranking system. The ProShares UltraShort Real Estate ETF returned 33% over the past year, earning a C- rating. At 84.2% for the same period, the ProShares UltraShort MidCap400 ranked on the high side of average at C+.ProShares UltraShort Russell2000 Growth scored a rating of A, returning 92% for the year ending Oct. 31. This excellent performance was trumped by the 106.6% gain from ProShares UltraShort Industrials and 124.1% increase from ProShares UltraShort Russell MidCap Growth. Both of those ETFs topped out with A+ ratings. Source: TheStreet.com Ratings. Read this for an explanation of our ratings.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV