Fund Manager: Safest Buys Are Cash-Rich
With a new stock blowing up almost every day, Wall Street has gone from equity market to mine field. Five-star fund manager Warren Koontz says investors can steer clear of trouble by focusing on a company's debt obligations and cash generation.
"We don't want any debt to be rolling over in the near term, so we are looking at debt expiration," says Koontz, who oversees the $430 million (LSGIX)Loomis Sayles Value Fund. "We also like cash. Not only cash-flow generation, but net cash on the balance sheet."
Like most mutual fund managers, Koontz has been hit hard by the bear market, down close to 37% year-to-date. Nevertheless, he is still beating the S&P 500 by 4.7 percentage points over the past five years. The fund holds nearly 70 stocks and has turnover of 41% per year.
One of his favorite stocks right now is pharma giant Wyeth (WYE), which he says has strong defensive qualities in a difficult environment.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV