By Shawn Ward, Geezeo co-founder
Movie rental giant Blockbuster, Inc. (BBI) is losing ground to a growing number of digital competitors.
To combat Internet-based rival Netflix, Inc. (NFLX), Blockbuster spent 2007 fine tuning its total access plan, which allows customers to order movies online with the convenience of returning them to Blockbuster stores.
The results this year have been underwhelming.Blockbuster's share of consumer spending on rental movies dropped to less than 43% in September from 52% in January, according to the new Main Street Spending Index compiled by Geezeo, a personal finance Web site that helps consumers track their spending.
|Click here for larger image.|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV