After a historic 1,200-point rally last week, investors and traders alike should approach this week with caution.
Value plus snapback potential equals opportunity. Every week, I share my snapback ideas with TheStreet.com readers through my Rocket Stocks portfolio at Stockpickr.com. Today, for RealMoney subscribers, I'm giving a preview of next week's picks and recapping how last week's stocks fared.
First, a quick recap:
Arch Coal (ACI): Up 20% on the week after its third-quarter earnings more than tripled, beating the Street's expectations. Arch Coal reported net income of $97.8 million, or 68 cents per share, compared with $27.2 million, or 19 cents per share, a year ago.CF Industries Holdings (CF): Up 40% despite its third-quarter profits falling as it recorded higher unrealized losses on its natural gas hedges. Still, sales rose 75% to $1.02 billion, the result of substantial price increases for all of CF's fertilizes BioMarin (BMRN): Up 10% on the week after swinging to a third-quarter profit and reaffirming its outlook for a profitable 2008. Valero Energy (VLO): Up 15% despite having its third-quarter profit fall by more than 9% from a year ago. Net income for the quarter went to $1.15 billion, or $2.18 a share, down from $1.27 billion, or $2.09 a share, a year ago. Blackboard (BBBB): Down 25% after giving a bleak outlook for the rest of the year. Cliffs Natural Resources (CLF): Up 15% even after CEO Joe Carrabba said that he sees a protracted recession in 2009. He also said: "We have not changed our view of the growth of the steel industry. We believe a super-cycle is here and we are just in a hiccup at the moment."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV