Of all the airline industry's fortress hubs, Minneapolis is perhaps the most impregnable.
But now Southwest (LUV) wants to fly there. The largest low-fare carrier says it will begin taking passengers between Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport and Chicago's Midway Airport next March.
Why enter territory that is 80%-controlled by one carrier? Simple, Southwest CEO Gary Kelly explained on an earnings conference call. "It is a very high-fare market," he said. "One-way fares are as high as $400, and it's a short-haul market."
Currently Northwest, now part of Delta (LUV), handles nearly fourth-fifths of the travelers at Minneapolis, and it has long been considered the most aggressive carrier in defending its turf. Already, it operates 10 daily flights between Minneapolis and Chicago's O'Hare and a half dozen more to Midway.On Northwest's third-quarter earnings call, Executive Vice President Tim Griffin seemed to relish the Southwest challenge on fares. "Fares change quickly, and can be changed quickly," Griffin warned. "I don't think that many competitors make entries into an area based on
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV