The appointment last week of Paula Rosput Reynolds as chief restructuring officer at least infers that AIG is taking steps to dispose of assets, but the time to act is now, not when cash has been depleted to nothing.
Prudential PLC (PUK), whose CEO, Mark Tucker, indicated an interest in certain assets of AIG, has kept quiet recently about the possibility of a purchase. Now, MetLife (MET) is thought to have emerged as a possible suitor.
In its earnings call Thursday, MetLife CEO Robert Henrikson was asked by an analyst if it would use the capital purchase program to finance acquisitions. He responded: "I cannot possibly comment," at which point the analyst said, "I will take that as a yes," generating considerable laughter. MetLife executives offered no rebuttal to that inference.
MetLife recorded $639 million profit for the quarter and posted an unexpected 16% increase in revenue. Henrikson confirmed during the call that it is a bank holding company and is allowed access to the federal program, but that he had no comment to make other than that MetLife is well capitalized and has a strong balance sheet.TheStreet.com Ratings issues financial strength ratings for 4,000 life, health, annuity, and property/casualty insurers are available at no charge on the Insurers & HMOs Screener. In addition, the Financial Strength Ratings on each of the nation's 8,600 banks and savings and loans are available on the Banks & Thrifts Screener. For more coverage from TheStreet.com Ratings team, check out TheStreet.com Ratings section.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV