Thank you, Andrew Cuomo. And you, too, Henry Waxman.
Somebody had to step up. Somebody should be making sure top banking executives don't reap undue rewards after tapping into taxpayer funds. That somebody should have been Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson.
At least the New York attorney general's office is keeping a close eye on things, with Cuomo sending letters to the nine banks receiving half of the $250 billion the Feds are doling out to inject capital back into the banking system. Cuomo, like U.S. Rep. Henry Waxman (D., Calif.), is demanding details on bonus payments to banking executives put in place both before and after the banks found out they'd be getting taxpayer funds.
Both of them sent letters to Bank of America (BAC), Bank of New York Mellon (BK), Citigroup (C), Goldman Sachs (GS), JPMorgan Chase (JPM), Merrill Lynch (MER), Morgan Stanley (MS), State Street (STT) and Wells Fargo (WFC).Why is it always New York looking out for the little guy? Where's Paulson? Who's running this show? Come on. We've already seen that an absolute laissez faire approach doesn't work with this crowd. Bailouts must come with strings attached, and government officials need to make sure those strings are tied tightly. It's just that simple.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV