Royal Dutch Shell (RDS.A) said third-quarter earnings rose 22% to $8.5 billion from $6.9 billion a year earlier on an increase in oil prices and despite a production decline because of hurricanes in the U.S.
A sale of a gas transport business in Germany increased third-quarter earnings by about $1.4 billion, the oil company said in a statement Thursday.
Production fell in the quarter to 2,931 thousand barrels of oil equivalent per day from 3,137 thousand boe/d in the same quarter last year.
Cash flow from operating activities, excluding net working capital movements, was $10.4 billion compared with $9.9 billion a year earlier."We delivered satisfactory earnings and operating performance in the third quarter of 2008. We are watching the world economic situation closely," said CEO Jeroen van der Veer in a statement. The company also announced a quarterly dividend increase of 11% to 40 cents a share.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV