Written by Ucilia Wang
Intel Capital said Tuesday it has made its first cleantech investments in China, which included a $20 million deal for Trony Solar Holdings Co.
Trony, one of China's largest solar energy and wind power equipment makers, plans to use the money for research and development, the Associated Press reported.
The company, founded in 1993 and based in southern China's tech hub Shenzhen, makes conventional silicon and amorphous-silicon thin-film cells, along with inverters, controllers, solar batteries and other equipment.Intel Capital, the investment arm of computer chip giant Intel (INTC), also invested in NP Holdings, an electrical power storage company. Intel Capital didn't disclose the amount of investment. It also recently invested in Viewhigh, a healthcare software firm. Despite the weak economy, Intel Capital has no plans to slow down its investment pace, an Intel Capital executive told reporters in Beijing. Intel Capital set up a $500 million China fund in April and has since invested in six companies. It has invested more than $7.5 billion in about 1,000 companies in 45 countries since its founding in 1991. The company invests in a variety of tech companies, from chips to software to Web sites. It has had a keen interest in cleantech and said in June it was spinning off a solar-cell startup, SpectraWatt, and leading a $50 million round for the Hillsboro, Ore., solar company.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV