Can Utilities Fill the Green Energy Finance Gap?
But Mac Irvin, managing director of structured finance for SunPower Corp. (SPWRA) suggested that another part of Congress' renewable energy bill -- the part that allows utilities to take advantage of the incentives -- could help ease that crunch.
"The recent doom and gloom conversation around tax credit investment... is greatly overblown," he said. "The entrance of utilities into this space, in my view, will increase the availability of tax equity."
Irvin's not the first to wonder how the entrance of utilities could impact renewables, especially solar power. (Don't miss " Solar Companies and Utilities: Friends or Foes?") As of yet, renewable-energy executives don't have a clear answer to that question.
Using what he warned were rough calculations, Irvin said that the 30 largest U.S. utilities could find the appetite for up to $5.4 billion in tax-credit equity investment in 2009, roughly equivalent to the amount invested in wind-power projects in 2007."Utilities may take us up on that suggestion, they may not," Irvin said in an interview after the panel discussion, noting that he hadn't calculated what the potential loss of tax-credit investment from the financial crisis might be. When it comes to solar power specifically, the certainty that comes with the eight-year investment tax-credit extension could also draw in utilities that have until now been "standing on the sidelines," he said. Kevin Walsh, managing director of renewable energy for GE Energy Financial Services
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV