Dykstra: Hunt for Bargains
The first move I want to talk about is the Jayson Werth signing in 2006. Gillick saw a former first-round pick down on his luck and hampered by wrist injuries. A great talent, Werth was finally healthy this season, and Gillick's shrewd decision has paid off.
The second deal that is an important part of the Phillies' season is the trade for closer Brad Lidge. Lidge was nearly unhittable as a pitcher for the Astros a few years ago. Gillick saw a player with amazing skills who was not playing at his potential and was therefore being severely undervalued by his team's front office. The trade looks really good now for the Phils. Lidge hasn't blow a save all year.
The deals made for these players are something I greatly admire because I look for the same opportunities with my picks. I look at companies that have been undervalued and unfairly beaten down by the market. I am able to then trade stock for a company at a great discount while still getting solid results.
The point is that I look to trade stocks at a discount while still getting great results. Some recent pickups that have already paid off include United Technologies (UTX), my Oct. 22 pick. It filled and sold the very next day for a quick $1,000 win. I bought United Technologies calls at $12 while the stock was trading around $48, paying about one-quarter of the price.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV