Cox Communications to Build Wireless Network
Cox Communications plans to launch its own wireless network next year to compete with telecom shops and rival cable providers.
The privately held Atlanta cable operator said Monday it will use Sprint Nextel's (S) nationwide network next year to quickly enter the wireless market, while it build its own high-speed 3G network to launch in late 2009.
Cox's forthcoming wireless service will join its digital cable, high-speed Internet and telephone bundle, which the company said it hopes will help it better compete with AT&T (T) and Verizon (VZ), which have entered the fiercely competitive video and broadband Internet market with their respective U-verse and FiOS offerings.
Additionally, Cox will test 4G wireless technology using long-term evolution, or LTE, which AT&T and Verizon are also preparing for next-generation data transfers."Wireless service will be a key driver to Cox's future growth," said Pat Esser, president of Cox Communications, in a statement. Esser added that the company has already invested more than $500 million to acquire wireless spectrum in auctions held by the Federal Communications Commission. Cox Communications, which was publicly traded until 2004, is the third-largest cable provider in the U.S. with more than 6.2 million customers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV