Tech Winners & Losers: Avid Technology
Tech stocks took another deep plunge along with the rest of the market as fears of a global recession shook every corner of the globe.
The Nasdaq tumbled 61 points, or 3.8%, to 1543 in recent trading.
Shares of Avid Technology (AVID) fell 12.9% to $14.04 after reporting disappointing third-quarter results.
The company posted a loss of 12 cents a share, in sharp contrast to the 10 cents a share profit that Wall Street had been expecting. Avid said that it would cut 410 jobs and sell its animation software line to Autodesk (ADSK).Shares of Ariba (ARBA) were down 23.7% to $8.05 after the company missed Wall Street estimates for its fourth quarter results. Ariba also provided a cautious first-quarter outlook, which fell short of analysts' expectations. Overstock (OSTK) got hammered on Friday after the company posted disappointing third-quarter revenue, although its losses were far less than Wall Street's expectations. Still, the news was bad for the online retailer, which acknowledged that it had discovered accounting problems that will require it to restate its results dating all the way back to 2003. The accounting problems translate into an overstatement of revenue on a cumulative basis by $12.9 million and an understatement of losses by $10.3 million. The stock was down 12.6% to $9. Shares of Juniper Networks (JNPR) slipped 7.4% to $16.51, even though the company beat expectations on Thursday, posting a 75% jump in third-quarter income. The company issued broad guidance, with a midpoint below current projections. It expects revenue between $921 million to $971 million, and adjusted income of between 30 cents a share and 33 cents a share. Analysts expect earnings of 32 cents a share on revenue of $967.2 million, according to a consensus survey by Thomson Reuters.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV