"This is one of the quietest, worst days I've ever seen," said Jim Cramer on Thursday's "Stop Trading!" segment on CNBC. He turned once again to dividend plays. "They're getting traction in this market because people are just saying, 'You know what? I need to find companies where the near-term is not disastrous.'"
As for retail, Amazon (AMZN) is a "fabulous company," he said, that has "everything," and the fact that it is struggling leads him to "question the value of nearly every retail" stock. He said he wouldn't even try to call a bottom in retail. "When Amazon can't do it," he asked, "where does Gap (GPS) stop? Where does Limited (LTD) stop?"
He didn't have anything better to say about solar stocks. "It's over!" he said. "Duke Energy had to cut back in solar. SunPower (SPWRA)? No thank you. " He didn't like Applied Materials (AMAT) on the basis of its solar division, either.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV