10 Do-It-Yourself Skills That Can Save a Bundle
Haircuts: This do-it-yourself task seems easier for men to accept than women, but both sexes can do it. If you don't have confidence in cutting your own hair, the first thing to do is get a easy-to-manage, low-maintenance cut.
With most chain haircut outlets charging $15 or more plus tip and most private salons charging a lot more, it only takes a single cut to pay for a clipper set and scissors. After a few times doing it on your own, you'll wonder why you ever spent as much as you did on your hair.
Cleaning clothes: Taking your weekly work clothes to the dry cleaners can put you back $50 a month even at the cheapest places. Cleaning them yourself needn't take much extra time or effort. Simply put your clothes in the wash and iron while watching television. Add in some basic mending and repair skills for clothes, and you can save a bundle by making them last longer as well.
Pet grooming: Pets can get pretty expensive, especially when you rely on others to do basic grooming like washing, brushing teeth and cutting nails. When you consider a basic shampoo and nail clip will put you back about $25, it doesn't take long for your do-it-yourself grooming skills to pay for themselves. In addition, doing basic grooming on your pets should keep them healthier and give you a better chance of spotting a medical problem early, which could save you a lot in vet bills.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV