Responding to T. Boone Pickens' plan to put natural-gas cars on the roads, Musk said that -- while natural-gas cars are better than gasoline cars -- it would be more efficient to use methane at a power plant, then use the resulting electricity to charge electric cars -- even with all the transmission losses.
"It's going to be more than twice as good as using natural gas directly in the car," he said.
Electric cars still face some challenges, however.
Aside from the high cost of batteries, the infrastructure to recharge electric-car batteries is an important issue, and Musk said he doesn't know if people will prefer to swap their battery packs or fast-charge their batteries.But he said he believes the "inflection point" at which mainstream drivers will be willing to make the switch will come when batteries can be charged in about an hour. That would allow people driving from San Francisco to Los Angeles to make the trip with just a single stop for lunch, he said. With electric cars that can drive 300 miles on a single charge, it would mean that drivers could simply stop at Starbucks (SBUX) to recharge, he said. And if even a coffee break is too much of a hassle, drivers will hopefully be able to stop and get their batteries changed out in three to four minutes, he said. Tesla's range has been growing and has reached 244 miles, in combined highway and city driving, with the air conditioning on, Musk said. Batteries are still expensive, however. To deliver the Model S at the expected $60,000, Tesla plans to offer a 165-mile range, then charge premiums for batteries with 230-mile and 300-mile ranges, Musk said. For more information about Greentech Media, please visit www.greentechmedia.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV