Kass: A Sharp Drop in Inflation Lies Ahead
This blog post originally appeared on RealMoney Silver on Oct. 22 at 7:30 a.m. EDT.
"An optimist is a person who sees a green light everywhere, while a pessimist sees only the red stoplight -- the truly wise person is colorblind."A combination of a higher U.S. dollar and Japanese yen, the vortex of selling and unwinding of long commodities positions (by pension plans and endowments, corporations, hedge funds and managed commodity funds) and renewed evidence of a deepening recession have served to accelerate the decline in commodity prices.
-- Albert Schweitzer
According to the lynx-eyed Denny "The Man" Gartman the DJ-AIG Index is "down a stunning 18.6%, and the month is only three-quarters over! For the year, the index is down 26.2%."Remarkably, the CRB Index, which includes energy product prices, is now back to its late 2004 level. The CRB Raw Materials Index, which excludes energy product prices, is back to its level last seen in summer 2006. In the aggregate, the energy, materials and related sectors only account for about 25% of the S&P 500's profit, so the remaining 75% of the S&P is poised to benefit from the cost relief associated with lower commodities prices. This, combined with the continued tame year-over-year change in unit labor costs (of around 1%), will produce a marked deceleration in headline and core inflation. While the outlook for top-line revenue growth in 2009-2010 remains problematic, the above cost trends will, in the fullness of time, act as a headwind to a sharp mean regression in corporate profit margins. For now, a bull market in fear, concerns regarding a "Great Recession" and the continued indigestion in the hedge fund and fund of funds industries remain front and center. Over time, however, the basis of an improving intermediate-term market picture seems likely to reassume center stage based on the following considerations:
- Inflation is ebbing.
- The Fed is and will remain market-friendly.
- The credit markets are thawing.
- Fiscal stimulus appears on the way.
- Financial institutions' capital bases are being shored up (posthaste!).
- Stock valuations are subdued.
- Investor sentiment is at record negative levels.
- Forced selling by executives, individuals, hedge funds and fund of funds has historically marked a market bottom.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV