7. The Short S&P SmallCap 600 ProShares (SBB) is inversely related to the S&P Small Cap 600 Index. Topping all other ETFs on the list, this fund pulled in 13.21% as it bet against companies like Waste Connections (WCN), Piedmont Natural Gas (PNY) and Flowers Foods (FLO).
8. While it is not possible for an ETF to own every single U.S. bond in existence, the Vanguard Total Bond Market ETF (BND) ended the period up 4.57% tracking the Lehman Brothers Aggregate Bond Index. It's modeled to approximate the performance of a wide variety of U.S. fixed-income securities.
9. The second inverse, or short, stock ETF to make the list is the Short Russell2000 ProShares (RWM). It appreciated 12.43% as the 1,960 members of the Russell 2000 Index fell. The aggregate price-to-earnings ratio of this index is currently negative as the accumulated losses from these companies outweigh the earnings. Some of the higher-priced stocks in the index are Seaboard Corp (SEB), Alexander's (ALX), United Therapeutics (UTHR) and Deckers Outdoor (DECK).
10. Lastly, Vanguard Short Term Bond ETF (BSV) inched up 5.41% on investments tracking the Lehman Brothers 1-5 Year Government/Credit Index of government, U.S. corporate and investment grade international debt with maturities of five years of less.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV