For more coverage from TheStreet.com Ratings team, check out TheStreet.com Ratings section.
The Chicago Board Options Exchange Volatility Index spiked to a new high on Thursday of 81.17. The rise in the VIX -- which serves as a benchmark measure of the implied volatility of S&P 500 options -- signals not just extreme bearishness but also massive uncertainty in the market.
In this environment, TheStreet.com Ratings' top 10 rated exchange-traded funds steer investors toward the relative safety of the bond market and favor inverse stock funds. All these funds are rated A+, and each of the returns cited below reflect the one-year period ending Sept. 30.
Top 10 Rated ETFs
1. The iShares Lehman 3-7 Year Treasury Bond Fund (IEI) returned 9.86% for the year. The fund tracks the Lehman Brothers 3-7 Year U.S. Treasury Index of intermediate term U.S. government bonds.2. The iShares Lehman 1-3 Year Treasury Bond Fund (SHY) earned 6.40% for the one-year period linked to the corresponding Lehman 1-3 Year Treasury Index. 3. With higher risk and return, the iShares Lehman 10-20 Year Treasury Bond Fund (TLH) showed more volatility than the above funds in its tracking of the Lehman 10-20 Year Treasury Index but beat them both with a return of 10.29%. 4. SPDR Lehman Intermediate Term Treasury ETF (ITE) comes in fourth place, returning 8.24%. It gauges the movements of price and accumulated yield of the Lehman Intermediate US Treasury Index. 5. iShares Lehman MBS Fixed-Rate Bond Fund (MBB) made the list with a 6.55% return, holding the same types of mortgage-backed securities from Fannie Mae (FNM) and Freddie Mac (FRE) that have been at the center of the financial storm.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV