Use Dividends Against the Crazy Hedgies
In the 1980s, lots of companies decided to initiate buybacks to protect their stocks from this volatility, and the collars were put in to cool the market down.
The collars, which became irrelevant as we got higher in points (as they were done by points and not by percentages) might help again. We need to be able to find sellers and buyers in time to meet the other sides of these trades, and we can't because no one can think fast enough or act fast enough.
In the interim, what you need to do is protect yourself from hedge funds gone wild, and the only way I know to do that is with dividends. Then, at least, there is some fundamental grounding. We will hit bottom here when so many stocks yield such high amounts that we are at last at a level where when the stocks are forced down they simply aren't worth selling.
But make no mistake about it, if you want to see the volatility end and the situation get better, you need to see all of the Citadels blown up or bailed out, and believe me -- as bailout-happy as we have become, Ken Griffin's going to have to come back on his own.At the time of publication, Cramer had no positions in the stocks mentioned.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV