Health stocks were down - as were the broader markets - amid the kickoff of third-quarter results.
Pharmaceutical stocks fared better than their biotech cousins -- the Amex pharma index was up just 0.8%,
One component of the pharma index, Eli Lilly (LLY) said Tuesday that it has commenced the tender offer for all outstanding shares of ImClone (IMCL) at $70 a share. The $6.5 billion deal was announced last week.ImClone shares rose 82 cents, or 1.2%, at $67.82, while Lilly's shares fell 88 cents, or 2.4%, to $34.98 on Tuesday. One of the first health stocks to release earnings, Johnson & Johnson (JNJ)reported income of $3.31 billion, or $1.17 a share, on revenue of $15.9 billion. Results topped expectations of analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters who'd pegged $1.11 a share on $15.69 billion. Shares were up $1.48, or 2.4%, at $64.14. Elsewhere - in a few analyst actions -- Needham upped its rating for medical technology company and device maker Stryker (SYK) to buy from hold with a $66 price target. That stock was trading up $1.33, or 2.3%, at $59.86. Also, Cantor Fitzgerald significantly upped its price target for Sequenom (SQNM), which is developing a non-invasive prenatal test for Down syndrome to $42 from $29. Shares added 34 cents, or 1.8%, to $19.76. Look for earnings from Abbott Laboratories (ABT)and St. Jude Medical (STJ) before the market open on Wednesday. Analysts, on average, are expecting 77 cents a share on revenue of $7.35 billion for the third quarter from Abbott and 57 cents a share on $1.07 billion in revenue from St. Jude. After the close on Wednesday, look for third quarter results from Amylin (AMLN). The Street expects Amylin to report a loss of 50 cents a share on $229 million in revenue.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV