McCain Offers New Tax Cuts, Incentives
For more articles like this, check out our Political Pulse section.
Sen. John McCain (R., Ariz.) at last unveiled plans for new tax cuts Tuesday. His campaign surrogates announced over the weekend that tax-cut plans were coming, but in his "new" stump speech Monday, McCain made no mention of any cuts, leaving the media to wonder who was in charge of the campaign.
The proposals released early this morning outline new tax cuts to help seniors, investors and workers receiving unemployment benefits. McCain argues his new plan would attract investors to capital markets, unlike Sen. Barack Obama (D., Ill.), who has proposed rules easing tax restrictions on 401(k) withdrawals.
McCain said in a campaign appearance Tuesday:
"It is essential that we avoid an exodus of capital from the market. Senator Obama yesterday offered up a proposal that would have the effect of encouraging early withdrawal of funds from 401(k) accounts, by suspending penalties through 2009. This is an invitation to capital flight, and therefore to continued instability in the market, at a moment when exactly the opposite is needed."Last week he said he would change rules that force seniors to liquidate 401(k)s at age 70.5 and allow them to stay invested. McCain's new plans would go further, reducing the capital gains tax for 2009 and 2010 to 7.5% from its current 15%. He would also cut the capital gains taxes from redemptions on 401(k)s to 10%. Furthermore, he would increase the tax deduction on losses from long-term capital gains vs. ordinary income from its current $3,000 to $15,000 for the years 2008 and 2009.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV