Updated from 2:24 a.m. EDT
Moody's placed Morgan Stanley's A1 long-term credit rating on review for a downgrade. The outlook on Goldman's Aa3 rating was lowered to negative.
Shares of Morgan Stanley were falling 18% to $10.20 Friday morning, while shares of Goldman were off 6.6% to $94.63.Mitsubishi UFJ Financial (MTU), Japan's largest bank, on Thursday said it had no plans to pull out of a planned investment in Morgan Stanley. Investors are worried, however, because Mitsubishi's purchase price of $25 a share now is roughly double Morgan Stanley's closing stock price Thursday of $12.45, the Wall Street Journal reports. With Morgan Stanley shares so low, the $9 billion commitment for 21% of the firm two weeks ago could now buy a 65% stake, the Journal adds. Although there is no break-up fee on the deal, Mitsubishi is bound by its contract with Morgan Stanley and would face potentially unlimited liabilities if it were to walk away. The future of Morgan Stanley might rest on whether Mitsubishi will honor its word, despite billions of dollars of immediate paper losses it would suffer on its investment, the Journal reports. Nobody ever made a dime by panicking, says Jim Cramer. Moneymaking opportunities exist despite the market turmoil. So where's a market master like Cramer putting his money these days? Check out his personal portfolio at Action Alerts PLUS. Take a free trial now.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV