Dividend.com: Walgreen Pulls Out
Walgreen Withdraws Bid for Longs Drug Stores
Walgreen had offered $75 per share in cash -- which was higher than the CVS Caremark (CVS) offer of $71.50 per share in cash. The board for Long's Drug Stores refused to discuss any agreement with Walgreen's management.
We think Walgreen is making the best move it can at this time. The credit markets are tough -- so financing for any deal may have come at a prohibitive cost.We advised investors to take profits on the run-up in LDG shares back in mid-September, when shares jumped up to $76 right after the WAG offer. That call looks even better now -- after Walgreen's subsequent withdraw. None of the stocks mentioned above are on our "Recommended" list.
MetLife/Hartford Financial Services Reportedly Mulling Merger It appears that MetLife (MET) and Hartford Financial Services (HIG) may be considering a potential merger, according to a Wall Street Journal report. According to the WSJ, MetLife recently approached Hartford regarding a merger -- but the talks "didn't lead anywhere." Both companies have seen their stock prices hit hard over the last month and have taken steps to increase their liquidity. Hartford Financial recently got a $2.5 billion capital infusion from Allianz SE -- Europe's biggest insurer -- while MetLife raised nearly $2 billion after an offering of 75 million shares at $26.50 per share. MetLife also announced a plan to cut jobs -- but didn't offer details about that plan. We prefer either company look for a stronger partner, rather than the thought of putting two struggling companies under one roof. Basic arithmetic states that when you multiply two negative numbers, you get a positive, but we're not sure that rule applies on Wall Street.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV