Roads, Bridges Beget Solid Returns
A challenge facing many infrastructure plays right now is the market's shift away from levered companies. "They need to have debt to fund their projects, but companies that have any kind of debt in their structure have been getting rocked," says Clary. "We are buying companies with very strong balance sheets."
Another consideration is companies' operations. "There is always regulatory risk in this sector that you have to pay attention to," says Smith.
Power playsBuying individual stocks may be a way to enter the sector. Clary especially likes Fluor (FLR) and Foster Wheeler (FWLT). "Both of these companies are looking to build out around energy infrastructure," he says. Luecke and Smith also like infrastructure plays that are tied to energy. They have long-term bullish outlooks for Exelon and Spectra Energy (SE). They think Exelon has upside potential in its nuclear power business. "Power prices are up in the U.S. primarily because coal and gas prices are up," Smith says. "Nuclear prices haven't seen these same significant increases yet." In August, Spectra checked in with second-quarter results that included a 47% year-over-year increase in ongoing EPS as operating revenue spiked 16%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV