Early Monday, analysts at both Keefe Bruyette and Friedman Billings upgraded Wells Fargo to market perform from underperform.
Money markets were strained. Bloomberg.com said three-month Libor, a measure of the cost of borrowing among banks, was at 4.29%, near a high last seen in January. Overnight Libor climbed to 2.37% from 2% Friday.Outside the financials, Reuters reported that ImClone (IMCL) agreed to a merger with Eli Lilly (LLY). Among technology stocks, online auctioneer eBay (EBAY) said it would be cutting its staff by 10% and would buy online payment processor Bill Me Later. Breadth was frightful. Decliners were trouncing advancers 32-to-1 on the New York Stock Exchange. On the Nasdaq, decliners were beating advancers 11-to-1. In the commodities space, the price of crude oil was down $4.49 to $89.39 a barrel, and gold climbed $33 to settle at $866.20 an ounce. Longer-term U.S. Treasury securities were climbing in price. The 10-year was up 1-8/32 to yield 3.45%, and the 30-year was climbing 2-18/32, yielding 3.95%. Overseas markets were broadly falling. The FTSE in London and the Dax in Frankfurt were each down more than 7%. Asian exchanges, including Japan's Nikkei and Hong Kong's Hang Seng, closed on the downside.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV