Updated from 5:09 a.m. EDT
Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson on Monday named Neel Kashkari, a key adviser, to oversee the government's $700 billion program to buy distressed assets from financial institutions.
Kashkari, a Treasury assistant secretary for international affairs and a former Goldman Sachs (GS) banker, was named interim head of Treasury's new Office of Financial Stability. Kashkari will oversee Treasury's effort to buy bad loans and other distressed securities clogging the books of financial institutions.
Kashkari will oversee some key decisions on how the program operates. While Congress gave Treasury the authority to start buying assets, many choices remain, such as which asset managers to hire, which securities to purchase and how to purchase them.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV